Re: [edk2-devel] CPU hotplug using SMM with QEMU+OVMF

Laszlo Ersek

On 08/23/19 17:25, Kinney, Michael D wrote:
Hi Jiewen,

If a hot add CPU needs to run any code before the
first SMI, I would recommend is only executes code
from a write protected FLASH range without a stack
and then wait for the first SMI.
"without a stack" looks very risky to me. Even if we manage to implement
the guest code initially, we'll be trapped without a stack, should we
ever need to add more complex stuff there.

For this OVMF use case, is any CPU init required
before the first SMI?
I expressed a preference for that too: "I wish we could simply wake the
new CPU [...] with an SMI".

http://mid.mail-archive.com/398b3327-0820-95af-a34d-1a4a1d50cf35@redhat.com

From Paolo's list of steps are steps (8a) and (8b)
really required?
See again my message linked above -- just after the quoted sentence, I
wrote, "IOW, if we could excise steps 07b, 08a, 08b".

But, I obviously defer to Paolo and Igor on that.

(I do believe we have a dilemma here. In QEMU, we probably prefer to
emulate physical hardware as faithfully as possible. However, we do not
have Cache-As-RAM (nor do we intend to, IIUC). Does that justify other
divergences from physical hardware too, such as waking just by virtue of
an SMI?)

Can the SMI monarch use the Local
APIC to send a directed SMI to the hot added CPU?
The SMI monarch needs to know the APIC ID of the
hot added CPU. Do we also need to handle the case
where multiple CPUs are added at once? I think we
would need to serialize the use of 3000:8000 for the
SMM rebase operation on each hot added CPU.
I agree this would be a huge help.

It would be simpler if we can guarantee that only
one CPU can be added or removed at a time and the
complete flow of adding a CPU to SMM and the OS
needs to be completed before another add/remove
event needs to be processed.
I don't know if the QEMU monitor command in question can guarantee this
serialization. I think such a request/response pattern is generally
implementable between QEMU and guest code.

But, AIUI, the "device-add" monitor command is quite generic, and used
for hot-plugging a number of other (non-CPU) device models. I'm unsure
if the pattern in question can be squeezed into "device-add". (It's not
a dedicated command for CPU hotplug.)

... Apologies that I didn't add much information to the thread, just
now. I'd like to keep the discussion going.