From: Paolo Bonzini [mailto:pbonzini@...]
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:40 AM
To: Kinney, Michael D <michael.d.kinney@...>;
rfc@edk2.groups.io; Yao, Jiewen <jiewen.yao@...>
Cc: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...>; Laszlo
Ersek <lersek@...>; devel@edk2.groups.io; qemu
devel list <qemu-devel@...>; Igor Mammedov
<imammedo@...>; Chen, Yingwen
<yingwen.chen@...>; Nakajima, Jun
<jun.nakajima@...>; Boris Ostrovsky
<boris.ostrovsky@...>; Joao Marcal Lemos Martins
<joao.m.martins@...>; Phillip Goerl
<phillip.goerl@...>
Subject: Re: [edk2-rfc] [edk2-devel] CPU hotplug using
SMM with QEMU+OVMF

On 21/08/19 19:25, Kinney, Michael D wrote:
Could we have an initial SMBASE that is within TSEG.

If we bring in hot plug CPUs one at a time, then
initial SMBASE in
TSEG can reprogram the SMBASE to the correct value for
that CPU.

Can we add a register to the hot plug controller that
allows the BSP
to set the initial SMBASE value for a hot added CPU?
The default can
be 3000:8000 for compatibility.

Another idea is when the SMI handler runs for a hot
add CPU event, the
SMM monarch programs the hot plug controller register
with the SMBASE
to use for the CPU that is being added. As each CPU
is added, a
different SMBASE value can be programmed by the SMM
Monarch.

Yes, all of these would work. Again, I'm interested in
having something that has a hope of being implemented in
real hardware.

Another, far easier to implement possibility could be a
lockable MSR (could be the existing
MSR_SMM_FEATURE_CONTROL) that allows programming the
SMBASE outside SMM. It would be nice if such a bit
could be defined by Intel.

Paolo