Re: RFC: Boot Discovery Policy

Sunny Wang

Hi Ard,

Thanks for checking this.
Yeah, you're right if the secondary loaders you meant here are OS boot loaders and some applications for system deployment like iPXE.
This change is based on EFI_BOOT_MANAGER_POLICY_PROTOCOL which currently only supports EFI_BOOT_MANAGER_POLICY_NETWORK_GUID and EFI_BOOT_MANAGER_POLICY_CONNECT_ALL_GUID classes, so it only has Minimal, All Network Devices, All Devices options for using the existing classes and code. For block devices, if you see a need, I think you can submit a Code-first Bugzilla ticket and UEFI ECR for the follow-up (adding EFI_BOOT_MANAGER_POLICY_BLOCK_GUID). What do you think?

Best Regards,
Sunny Wang

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 8, 2021 1:37 AM
To: Sunny Wang <Sunny.Wang@arm.com>
Cc: Grzegorz Bernacki <gjb@semihalf.com>; rfc@edk2.groups.io; Samer El-Haj-Mahmoud <Samer.El-Haj-Mahmoud@arm.com>; Marcin Wojtas <mw@semihalf.com>; zhichao.gao@intel.co; ray.ni@intel.com; pete@akeo.ie; leif@nuviainc.com; ardb+tianocore@kernel.org
Subject: Re: [edk2-rfc] RFC: Boot Discovery Policy

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 15:54, Sunny Wang <Sunny.Wang@arm.com> wrote:

For Ard, Pete, and Leif's reference, this is the follow-up to my Fast Boot related commit https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-platforms/commit/efdc159ef7c9f15581a0f63d755a1530ff475156. We want to add the setup option to the core code instead of the platform code so that we can easily solve similar problems that are related to Fast boot in other platforms as well. Therefore, I think RPI should be fine with this design.
So the problem is secondary loaders that assume that all peripherals have been connected, right? To me, the options Minimal/All Network Devices/All Devices seems a bit arbitrary - what about block devices?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

Join rfc@edk2.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.