________________________________
发件人: rfc@edk2.groups.io <rfc@edk2.groups.io> 代表 Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...>
发送时间: Saturday, February 6, 2021 2:01:14 AM
收件人: Ni, Ray <ray.ni@...>; Laszlo Ersek <lersek@...>; Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@...>
抄送: Andrew Fish <afish@...>; edk2 RFC list <rfc@edk2.groups.io>; Kinney, Michael D <michael.d.kinney@...>; Leif Lindholm (Nuvia address) <leif@...>; Dong, Eric <eric.dong@...>; Liming Gao (Byosoft address) <gaoliming@...>; Ankur Arora <ankur.a.arora@...>
主题: Re: [edk2-rfc] MemoryFence()

On 05/02/21 18:53, Ni, Ray wrote:
Without calling _ReadWriteBarrier, is it possible that compiler
generates the assembly in the wrong location? I mean the compiler may
in-line the LibWaitForSemaphore and call cmpxchg earlier than the
desired location.
Similar to LibReleaseSemaphore.

So my understanding is the _ReadWriteBarrier in ReleaseSpinLock is required.
The proposed ReleaseMemoryFence() should already have that effect. All
the proposed fences except CompilerFence() are both compiler
optimization barriers and processor barriers.
InterlockedCompareExchange() is also both a compiler optimization
barrier and a processor barrier

CompilerFence() is just a better name for _ReadWriteBarrier(), it blocks
optimizations but it has no effect at the processor level. It should
only be used (instead of volatile) in busy-waiting loops that do not
always go through an InterlockedCompareExchange.

Paolo

234 _ReadWriteBarrier ();
235 *SpinLock = SPIN_LOCK_RELEASED;
236 _ReadWriteBarrier ();
237
238 return SpinLock;
it *is* buggy because it is missing a
(processor) barrier on non-x86 architectures and has a useless barrier
after the store. Instead it should be just this:

ReleaseMemoryFence ();
*SpinLock = SPIN_LOCK_RELEASED;