Re: [edk2-devel] CPU hotplug using SMM with QEMU+OVMF

Michael D Kinney

Perhaps there is a way to avoid the 3000:8000 startup
vector.

If a CPU is added after a cold reset, it is already in a
different state because one of the active CPUs needs to
release it by interacting with the hot plug controller.

Can the SMRR for CPUs in that state be pre-programmed to
match the SMRR in the rest of the active CPUs?

For OVMF we expect all the active CPUs to use the same
SMRR value, so a check can be made to verify that all
the active CPUs have the same SMRR value. If they do,
then any CPU released through the hot plug controller
can have its SMRR pre-programmed and the initial SMI
will start within TSEG.

We just need to decide what to do in the unexpected
case where all the active CPUs do not have the same
SMRR value.

This should also reduce the total number of steps.

Mike

#1: the SMM MUST be non-DMA capable region.
#2: the MMIO MUST be non-DMA capable region.
#3: the stolen memory MIGHT be DMA capable region or
non-DMA capable
region. It depends upon the silicon design.
#4: the normal OS accessible memory - including ACPI
reclaim, ACPI
NVS, and reserved memory not included by #3 - MUST be
DMA capable region.
As such, IOMMU protection is NOT required for #1 and
#2. IOMMU
protection MIGHT be required for #3 and MUST be
required for #4.
I assume the virtual environment is designed in the
same way. Please
correct me if I am wrong.
Correct. The 0x30000...0x3ffff area is the only
problematic one;
Igor's idea (or a variant, for example optionally
remapping
0xa0000..0xaffff SMRAM to 0x30000) is becoming more
and more attractive.

Paolo