Re: [edk2-devel] [RFC] Request to move MinPlatformPkg out of the Intel folder

Sean

Nate,

I would actually propose you go further. In Project Mu we consume MinPlatform as its own repo. This is because it has its own lifetime and spans multiple product generations and hopefully someday multiple architectures/silicon providers. By mixing it in with all the platform code of edk2-platforms it is harder to leverage in other projects.

https://github.com/microsoft/mu_common_intel_min_platform

I could imagine a path where edk2-platforms starts using submodules (or something with similar properties) and then pulls in the "new" MinPlatform repo. Then as code in the current package gets cleaned up and generalized for the firmware ecosystem it could be moved to the new MinPlatform repo.

Another thread with open edk2-platform questions: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/65544

Thanks
Sean

On 9/30/2020 4:17 PM, Nate DeSimone wrote:
Hi Everyone,
This has come up informally a couple of times already, but I do think that it would be beneficial to move MinPlatformPkg out of the Platform/Intel folder and into a vendor neutral folder. MinPlatform really isn't Intel specific, it's just "middleware" that is intended to make it easier and faster to build EDK II based firmware. We have always intended MinPlatform to be vendor neutral, and it would be great to see MinPlatform based implementations for non-Intel silicon. Anyone working with EDK II should feel welcome to work with us on MinPlatform, regardless of the SoC in use.
To that end, I propose that we move MinPlatformPkg out of edk2-platforms/Platform/Intel to edk2-platforms/Platform/MinPlatformPkg. It might also make sense to move edk2-platforms/Platform/Intel/Tools and edk2-platforms/Platform/Intel/build_bios.py to edk2-platforms/Platform as well since those are all useful for building MinPlatform based firmware, but I could also see that being something for another time. Let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Nate