Re: [RFC] Request to move MinPlatformPkg out of the Intel folder

Abner Chang

That makes sense to move out MinPlatformPkg to under the vendor neutral folder if it is not Intel specific. On RISC-V, we have Platforms/RISC-V/PlatformPkg and the vendor neutral folder of RISC-V platform (e.g. Platforms/SiFive) which could leverage the driver/lib provided by RISC-V PlatformPkg.

-----Original Message-----
From: Desimone, Nathaniel L [mailto:nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2020 7:17 AM
To: devel@edk2.groups.io; rfc@edk2.groups.io
Cc: Leif Lindholm <leif@nuviainc.com>; Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com>;
Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@arm.com>; Kirkendall, Garrett
<garrett.kirkendall@amd.com>; Lendacky, Thomas
<thomas.lendacky@amd.com>; thomas.abraham@arm.com;
Frank.Orr@dell.com; Jim Dailey <jim.dailey@dell.com>; Chang, Abner (HPS
SW/FW Technologist) <abner.chang@hpe.com>; Wang, Sunny (HPS SW)
<sunnywang@hpe.com>; Schaefer, Daniel <daniel.schaefer@hpe.com>;
Liming Gao <gaoliming@byosoft.com.cn>; Tim Lewis
<tim.lewis@insyde.com>; Kevin@Insyde <kevin.davis@insyde.com>; Felix
Polyudov <felixp@ami.com>; Kinney, Michael D
<michael.d.kinney@intel.com>; Oram, Isaac W <isaac.w.oram@intel.com>;
Ni, Ray <ray.ni@intel.com>
Subject: [RFC] Request to move MinPlatformPkg out of the Intel folder

Hi Everyone,

This has come up informally a couple of times already, but I do think that it
would be beneficial to move MinPlatformPkg out of the Platform/Intel folder
and into a vendor neutral folder. MinPlatform really isn't Intel specific, it's
just "middleware" that is intended to make it easier and faster to build EDK II
based firmware. We have always intended MinPlatform to be vendor neutral,
and it would be great to see MinPlatform based implementations for non-
Intel silicon. Anyone working with EDK II should feel welcome to work with us
on MinPlatform, regardless of the SoC in use.

To that end, I propose that we move MinPlatformPkg out of edk2-
platforms/Platform/Intel to edk2-platforms/Platform/MinPlatformPkg. It
might also make sense to move edk2-platforms/Platform/Intel/Tools and
edk2-platforms/Platform/Intel/build_bios.py to edk2-platforms/Platform as
well since those are all useful for building MinPlatform based firmware, but I
could also see that being something for another time. Let me know what you
think!

Thanks,
Nate