Re: [edk2-devel] [RFC] Request for the new package "RedfishPkg" under edk2 repo

Abner Chang

-----Original Message-----
From: Yao, Jiewen [mailto:jiewen.yao@...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 11:25 AM
To: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) <abner.chang@...>;
rfc@edk2.groups.io; devel@edk2.groups.io; bret.barkelew@...
Cc: Wang, Nickle (HPS SW) <nickle.wang@...>; Chen, Aaron
<aaron.chen@...>; Fu, Siyuan <siyuan.fu@...>; Wang, Fan
<fan.wang@...>; Wu, Jiaxin <jiaxin.wu@...>; Ni, Ray
<ray.ni@...>; Kinney, Michael D <michael.d.kinney@...>
Subject: RE: [edk2-rfc] [edk2-devel] [RFC] Request for the new package
"RedfishPkg" under edk2 repo

Good to know.

Then I recommend we document assumption in the design.

I prefer to change "As the design, any BIOS to Redfish communicate should
be done before End of DXE and with SecureBoot is enabled."
"As the design, any BIOS to Redfish communication MUST be done before
End of DXE and with SecureBoot is enabled.
Any BIOS to Redfish communication MUST be blocked if SecureBoot is
disabled.
Above makes sense.

The communication between BIOS and BMC MUST be protected with TLS
with authentication.
Besides, the credential for the session between BIOS and BMC must be also secured. There are some implementations and proposals have been discussing in the Redfish Host interface TF for firmware bootstrapping, such as getting credential through IPMI Redfish command via KCS/I2C/etc. or any other OEM implementations. Therefore we design the EFI Redfish Credential protocol with OEM Redfish credential library to accommodate any implementations. Refer to [D2] and [D12] in the figure 1 here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tianocore/edk2-staging/UEFI_Redfish/Images/RedfishDriverStack.png

The BIOS will NOT validate any input from BMC.
The BMC MUST take role and responsibility to perform the validation to
ensure ANY configuration MUST NOT bring negative impact to the BIOS."

Please let me know if that is right understanding.
In general, Redfish service doesn't validate if the configuration changes made remotely would harm BIOS or not. Service is just implemented to compliant with Redfish Standard spec. Service could validate the format of JSON payload and may further validate if the properties in JSON payload match the schema according to @odata.type if service has capability to maintain the schema itself. But service has no idea about what is the healthy BIOS configurations. Most of validations on BIOS configuration changes in out of band (for example the dependency and data type) is handled by Redfish client tool/orchestrater. Any further BIOS configurations errors would be happened when BIOS applies the changes in the next boot.

Thank you
Yao Jiewen

From: devel@edk2.groups.io<mailto:devel@edk2.groups.io>
<devel@edk2.groups.io<mailto:devel@edk2.groups.io>> On Behalf
Of
Abner Chang
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 12:23 PM
To: rfc@edk2.groups.io<mailto:rfc@edk2.groups.io>;
devel@edk2.groups.io<mailto:devel@edk2.groups.io>
Cc: Wang, Nickle (HPS SW)
<nickle.wang@...<mailto:nickle.wang@...>>; Chen,
Aaron
<aaron.chen@...<mailto:aaron.chen@...>>; Fu, Siyuan
<siyuan.fu@...<mailto:siyuan.fu@...>>; Wang, Fan
<fan.wang@...<mailto:fan.wang@...>>; Wu, Jiaxin
<jiaxin.wu@...<mailto:jiaxin.wu@...>>; Ni, Ray
<ray.ni@...<mailto:ray.ni@...>>; Kinney, Michael D
<michael.d.kinney@...<mailto:michael.d.kinney@...>>
package "RedfishPkg" under edk2 repo

Hmm. You probably have to join dmtf as a member. That repo is
private for members now, not public yet.

Get Outlook for
Android<INVALID URI REMOVED
3A__aka.ms_ghei36&d=DwMFAg&c=C5b8zRQO1miGmBeVZ2LFWg&r=_SN6
FZBN4Vgi4Ulkskz6qU3NYRO03nHp9P7Z5q59A3E&m=pOqEHDFgI3N3KX0vXeQ
x5x9eAu8iFwKLxaC_oogVwiE&s=JcIdGRVs2CdvN2AKuofiuNTu3UV6lDvgB4Rj
vpRgiXM&e=>
________________________________
From: rfc@edk2.groups.io<mailto:rfc@edk2.groups.io>
<rfc@edk2.groups.io<mailto:rfc@edk2.groups.io>> on behalf of
Bret Barkelew via groups.io
<bret.barkelew@...<mailto:bret.barkelew=microsoft.
com@groups.io>>
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 12:19:29 PM
To: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist)
Cc: Wang, Nickle (HPS SW)
siyuan.fu@...<mailto:siyuan.fu@...>
<siyuan.fu@...<mailto:siyuan.fu@...>>; Wang, Fan
<fan.wang@...<mailto:fan.wang@...>>; Wu, Jiaxin
<jiaxin.wu@...<mailto:jiaxin.wu@...>>; Ni, Ray
<ray.ni@...<mailto:ray.ni@...>>; Kinney, Michael D
<michael.d.kinney@...<mailto:michael.d.kinney@...>>
package "RedfishPkg" under edk2 repo

That link didn't work for me.

- Bret

No, EFI REST JSON Structure DXE Driver (UEF spec section 29.7.3)
is a centralized manager to manage "EFI Redfish JSON resource to
C structure Converter libraries/drivers" for converting Redfish
resource in the specific schema from JSON format to the C
structure or
vice versa.
EFI REST JSON Structure DXE Driver itself doesn't use JSON
library, however "EFI Redfish JSON resource to C structure
Converter libraries/drivers" do use open source jansson library
to parse JSON payload. Furthermore, "EFI Redfish JSON resource
to C structure Converter libraries/drivers" are generated by
tool based on the published
Redfish schemas.
https://github.com/DMTF/Redfish-Schema-C-Struct-
Generator<INVALID URI REMOVED
3A__nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com_-3Furl-3Dhttps-253A-2
52F-
252Fgithub.com-252FDMTF-252FRedfish-2DSchema-2DC-2DStruct-
2DGenerator-26data-3D02-257C01-257Cbret.barkelew-
2540microsoft.com-
257C1b8115973f364cea229008d8592bc486-
257C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47-257C1-257C0-
257C637357391811797643-26sdata-
3DLdHAPly4oeVhyC6Xk7p0G0r1y8qVxrLfGZrN9EW5WpE-253D-
26reserved-
3D0&d=DwIF-
g&c=C5b8zRQO1miGmBeVZ2LFWg&r=_SN6FZBN4Vgi4Ulkskz6qU3NYRO03nH
p9P7Z5q59A3E&m=goBsQ2eLlP7qVkOJAy8TPlQ0B6NFvNm4rP58u6ASQxc&s=
j2rR7JmY2HjCtfOOe9ChSWCNKYseOJX2T-
91Z3miShA&e=<https://github.com/DMTF/Redfish-Schema-C-Struct-
Generator%3chttps:/urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-