From: Gao, Liming <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 1:44 AM
To: email@example.com; Kinney, Michael D
Subject: RE: [RFC] EDK II Continuous Integration Phase
I add my comments.
-----Original Message-----On Behalf Of
From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com]
Michael D KinneyIntegration Phase 1
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 4:23 AM
To: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Subject: [edk2-rfc] [RFC] EDK II Continuous
This is a proposal for a first step towards continuous
all TianoCore repositories to help improve to qualityof commits and
automate testing and release processes for all EDK IIpackages and
platforms.community members that
This is based on work from a number of EDK II
have provide valuable input and evaluations.evaluation
* Rebecca Cran <firstname.lastname@example.org> Jenkins evaluation
* Laszlo Ersek <email@example.com> GitLab evaluation
* Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <firstname.lastname@example.org> GitLab
* Sean Brogan <email@example.com> AzurePipelines and HBFA
* Bret Barkelew <Bret.Barkelew@microsoft.com> AzurePipelines and HBFA
* Jiewen Yao <firstname.lastname@example.org> HBFAthat contains a
The following link is a link to an EDK II WIKI page
summary of the work to date. Please provide feedbackin the EDK II
mailing lists. The WIKI pages will be updated withinput from the
entire EDK II community.EDK-II-Continuous
Phase 1 of adding continuous integration is limited to
edk2 repository. Additional repositories will beadded later.
The following changes are proposed:
* Remove EDK II Maintainers write access to edk2
Only EDK II Administrators will continue to havewrite
access, and that should only be used to handleextraordinary
* EDK II Maintainers use a GitHub Pull Request instead
to commit a patch series to the edk2 repository.There are
no other changes to the development and reviewprocess. The
patch series is prepared in an EDK II maintainerbranch with
all commit message requirements met on each patch inthe series.
Will the maintainer manually provide pull request after
the patch passes the review?
Can the script scan the mail list and auto trig pull
request once the patch gets Reviewed-by or Acked-by
from Package maintainers?
The maintainer will do this step manually. After the
required Reviewed-by and Acked-by responses have been
received, the commit messages in the patch series must
be updated to include the Reviewed-by and Acked-by tags.
I do not see an easy way to automate the editing of the
commit messages and guarantee it is always correct.
* The edk2 repository only accepts Pull Requests frommembers
of the EDK II Maintainers team. Pull Requests fromanyone else
are rejected.The maintainer manually trig pre-commit check or auto
* Run pre-commit checks using Azure Pipelines
By default, pre-commit should be auto trigged based on
I would be good to provide an on-demand service for maintainers
to run the exact same pre-commit checks on a branch to see
if there are issues that need to be resolved.
* If all pre-commit checks pass, then the patch seriesis auto
committed. The result of this commit must match thecontents
and commit history that would have occurred usingthe previous
* If any pre-commit checks fail, then notify the
Will Pre-commit check fail send the mail to the patch
The patch submitter need update the patch and go
through review process again.
Potentially. If it is a very simple merge conflict with
no functional impacts, then the maintainer should be able
to resolve and resubmit without additional code review.
If there are functional changes to resolve merge conflict,
then another review cycle would be required.
A typical reason for a failure would be a mergeconflict with
another pull request that was just processed.minutes.
* Limit pre-commit checks execution time to 10
* Provide on-demand builds to EDK II Maintainers thatto allow
EDK II Maintainers to submit a branch through forthe same
set of pre-commit checks without submitting a pullrequest.
ideas that could be
## Pre-Commit Checks in Phase 1
* Run and pass PatchCheck.py with no errors
The following are some additional pre-commit check
quickly added once the initial version usingPatchCheck.py is fully
functional. Please provide feedback on the ones youlike and
additional ones you think may improve the quality ofthe commits to the
## Proposed Pre-Commit Checks in Phase 2
* Verify Reviewed-by and Acked-by tags are present
correct maintainer email addressesNow, Edk2 has few binary files, like logo.bmp.
* Verify no non-ASCII characters in modified files
* Verify no binary files in set of modified files
I see one BZ to request logo bmp update.
So, we need the exception way for it.
* Verify package dependency rules in modified filesmodified
## Proposed Pre-Commit Checks in Phase 3
* Run ECC on modified files
* Verify modified modules/libs build
* Run available host based tests (HBFA) against
modules/libsI request boot test on Emulator and Ovmf in the daily
and weekly scope.
Daily can cover boot to Shell.
Weekly can cover more boot functionality.