GSoC Proposal

Ada Christine <adachristine18@...>

Hello, edk2 developers!

I've registered as a contributor candidate for GSoC 2022 and am interested in working on one of the items from the Tasks list here https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/Tasks. Specifically, adding dynamic linking support caught my attention as this is something i've been investigating and learning more about in one of my own personal projects. As a little background, my personal project is an experiment in OS development and I use a very small subset of the boot services to get started and loaded. It can be found here: https://github.com/adachristine/sophia. Recently I've started investigating (and begun to implement) using ELF's dynamic facilities to dynamically load kernel modules. I know PE is slightly different to ELF, but the principles seem similar enough.

I've had a few glances at the EDKII source code in the past and have a general idea of how it all fits together. What I have in mind to implement this would be the following:
- create a dynamic linker as a module package to be compiled into the main application
(alternatively, implement dynamic linking as a runtime service driver?)
- adjust the build system to enable building as DLLs and dynamic linking of module packages to the main application
(module packages could be per-application and optionally site packages in a subdirectory of the ESP?)

I know the details of how this would all fit together are a little more involved, but this is just the rough first idea that came to my mind. Happy to hear feedback, and if my idea seems feasible I can get to work on a more in-depth plan to put this together.

Thanks!

- Ada