From: discuss@edk2.groups.io <discuss@edk2.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sean via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 5:31 PM
To: discuss@edk2.groups.io; phlamorim@riseup.net; sunnywang@hpe.com
Subject: Re: [edk2-discuss] Lock BootOrder variable

Sunny,

There are two other public, non-uefi spec solutions I am aware of.

1. Edk2 VariableLock protocol: https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/MdeModulePkg/Include/Protocol/VariableLock.h
A relatively limited solution with hard coded lock points tied to edk2 SMM variable store.

2. Project Mu VariablePolicy protocol: https://github.com/microsoft/mu_basecore/blob/release/201911/MdeModulePkg/Include/Protocol/VariablePolicy.h
Flexible policy based locking that can be implemented in various hardware architectures.

My team will be proposing the VariablePolicy protocol (potentially as a "code-first" effort) in the coming months and working to upstream this feature into edk2. The reality is some users and use cases want higher assurance for their platform settings and this can include the boot order. Doing this thru a well-defined and auditable protocol is better than an ad-hoc solutions. As you know locking some variables may break assumptions (or spec definition) that other code may have but that tradeoff is best evaluated by the use case.

Thanks
Sean