From: Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@kernel.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 10:26 AM
To: Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com>
Cc: discuss@edk2.groups.io; Hernandez Miramontes, Jose Miguel <jose.miguel.hernandez.miramontes@intel.com>; Feng, Bob C <bob.c.feng@intel.com>; Saucedo Tejada, Genaro <genaro.saucedo.tejada@intel.com>; Ortiz Garcia, Jorge E <jorge.e.ortiz.garcia@intel.com>; Ard Biesheuvel (TianoCore) <ardb+tianocore@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [edk2-discuss] GccBase.lds

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 at 16:18, Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com> wrote:

(+Ard)

On 03/24/21 02:49, Hernandez Miramontes, Jose Miguel wrote:
Hi

Is anyone familiar with this file?
(Edk2\BaseTools\Scripts\GccBase.lds)
I would like to understand more what it does and why it is needed.

When looking at the .efi output of genfw, it seems the .build-id section generated by gcc is discarded.
git-blame is your friend. It leads to commit 7fd5d619806d ("BaseTools
GCC: drop GNU notes section from EFI image", 2016-08-02).
The build-id is used by Linux distros when they ship debug symbols with production shared libraries. The build-id permits the loader to look up the correct file, and confirm that the versions match.

In EDK2, the ELF binary is only an intermediate artifact, and so I fail to see why we would need build IDs here. If the ELF binary was built with debug symbols, they will be in the binary itself, not in a side loaded symbol file.