Re: Redfish Host Interface

Abner Chang

-----Original Message-----
From: Laszlo Ersek [mailto:lersek@redhat.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2021 6:11 AM
To: russell@nvidia.com
Cc: discuss@edk2.groups.io; Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist)
<abner.chang@hpe.com>; Wang, Nickle (HPS SW) <nickle.wang@hpe.com>
Subject: Re: [edk2-discuss] Redfish Host Interface

Hi Russell,

On 03/11/21 22:02, Russell Peterson wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in a UEFI Redfish Host Interface that does not require an OS.
Redfish Host Interface is built for OS to communicate with Redfish service on either BMC or out-of-band service (I don’t see this use case yet). UEFI use case is similar to how OS communicates with Redfish service through Redfish HI.

That is, the Redfish service would be provided by UEFI itself (via an IP
interface)... or perhaps an EFI application.
This is interesting , however you will need edk2 web server and the implementation of Redfish service on edk2 as well. Not sure how this use case works for OS <-> in-band Redfish service on edk2. Or you just would like to build up an stand along Redfish service on edk2 and other Redfish clients can connect to it?

For example, if a BMC wanted to access EFI variables directly from UEFI via
an IP interface with no functional OS present.
Redfish HI just provides the Redfish information to Redfish clients, the majority users are OS and firmware. Client sends the request to service for the property through HTTP. Rare use cases that service asks client for something on its own initiative, Redfish event service is one of the service-to-client action however client has to registers even first.
So BMC accesses to EFI variable through Redfish HI seems to me not an use case of generic Redfish services.

Is this crazy for me to think this? Already exists? Under development? An
idea... but I would need to do some work?

At least the following TianoCore bugzilla <https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/>
tickets relate to RedFish, one way or
another:
Laszlo, thanks for providing below information.
Abner

2337
2906
2910
2911
2912
2913
2918
2919
2930
2931
2932
2933
2934
2936
3102
3173
3174

At least the following USWG Mantis tickets relate to RedFish:

0001221
0001834
0001853
0001920
0001925
0001935
0001941
0002000
0002009
0002172

In UEFI v2.8B, there is a chapter called "31 - EFI Redfish Service Support".

A top-level RedfishPkg exists in edk2, and it seems like EmulatorPkg has
received some enablement. Not sure about the state in edk2-platforms (or
in other out-of-tree platforms).

Adding Abner and Nickle to the CC list (per "Maintainers.txt"); hopefully they
can summarize the status for you.