Re: Google Summer of Code Interested Student

Laszlo Ersek

On 03/12/21 06:45, Desimone, Nathaniel L wrote:

Now, here is the second bug. That BIOS setup menu page that OVMF has
for configuring the serial port has a field for setting the terminal
type. But, changing the value in that field doesn't actually change
the configuration data that is sent to the terminal driver. So the
terminal driver always ends up using PC_ANSI mode even if the user
changes that setting. This isn’t a bug in the terminal driver really,
it’s a bug in OVMF's setup menu implementation. But it does create
the appearance of a problem in the terminal driver and should be
fixed as part of this GSoC project. This should be fixed in both he
OVMF implementation and the MinPlatform implementation.
It's a shortcoming of OVMF's PlatformBootManagerLib.

A solution would be nice where, if a (non-volatile) terminal type
setting existed, that would take effect, but if no such setting existed,
then we'd still automatically add the serial port(s) -- with some
default terminal type -- to the console I/O variables.

ArmVirtQemu's PlatformBootManagerLib works somewhat differently (see the
build-time feature test macro TTY_TERMINAL). I'm not up-to-date on
whether that PlatformBootManagerLib instance handles the Setup TUI-based
terminal type setting correctly.

As far as I can remember, the terminal type has always been hard-coded
in OVMF like this -- I believe it's not a regression (old or recent). I
guess I haven't seen a good PlatformBootManagerLib example on this topic.