Re: Establish network and run 'ping'

Laszlo Ersek

On 11/05/19 11:47, Tomas Pilar (tpilar) wrote:
I am rather surprised that the default value for Network Stack is disabled on a platform. If the platform has a working implementation, I would strongly suggest you use that.

Otherwise you'll probably need to spend a lot more time poking around and familiarising yourself with the environment and the individual modules that comprise the network stack. Also note that platform vendors often modify the upstream network stack code to add new features or optimise the way it works on their hardware.
Agreed -- if there is a platform-specific HII knob in the Setup UI, then
it can control anything at all.

Your question is very generic and not something I can walk you through using email (maybe someone else here can), but I am happy to try and answer more specific questions when you have any (though admittedly I am not an expert on the network stack).

If you do want to learn more and play around, I would suggest starting with OVMF, rather than a platform, for a number of different reasons.
OVMF *is* a firmware platform, it's just not a physical one. :)

(But, of course, I agree with you -- OVMF is fully open source, the
"boards" underneath are fully open source (QEMU, KVM, Xen), and having
software, as opposed to hardware, beneath the software that you want to
debug, is helpful.)