Re: System hangs with 'Type 2: Sev:80; Class:3 SubClass:D; Op:6' error at boot-up

Andrew Fish <afish@...>

On Aug 28, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Laszlo Ersek <lersek@...> wrote:

On 08/28/20 12:04, udai sharma wrote:
Hi Team,

I am seeing this error on my serial console coming from Oprom boot driver.

I am unable to find/debug from where it is getting originated and what could be root cause for it.

ERROR: Type:2; Severity:80; Class:3; Subclass:D; Operation: 6

From Google, I could decode it as:

TYPE: 2 = Error Code

SEVERITY: For Error Code:

0x80 = Major

CLASS: 0x03 = Software

SUBCLASS: For Software:

0x0D = X86 Exception

Here, I am not sure what Operation:6 corresponds to.

That sounds like an x86 exception vector number. 6 is an Invalid Opcode, and in EFI that usually means the code ran off into the weeds and started executing garbage. So stack corruption, or bad pointers.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

One more thing I have noticed is that same Oprom image when loaded from shell using "loadpcirom" works

fine but if I update it into the flash memory of the adapter and BIOS reads it during boot-up, it hangs

with above mentioned ERROR code.

Contact your card / adapter vendor, is the best guess I have...