Re: EFI Group Event Callback Order

Tomas Pilar (tpilar)

I had to solve this for myself by creating a PostReadyToBoot event that is signalled by my ReadyToBoot callback. That meant that my PostReadyToBoot callbacks got executed after all the ReadyToBoot event functions.

Cheers,
Tom
Sent: 17 January 2020 13:24
To: discuss@edk2.groups.io; Laszlo Ersek
Cc: Wei, Kent (HPS SW); Wang, Sunny (HPS SW); Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist); Spottswood, Jason; Shifflett, Joseph; Haskell, Darrell; Wiginton, Scott
Subject: Re: [edk2-discuss] EFI Group Event Callback Order

Laszlo,

Yes, we can specific TPL to adjust callback order. But sometimes, an event has many callbacks like as ReadyToBoot and TPL level may not satisfy purpose.
In UEFI spec CreateEvent chapter, also mentioned "The functions in these queues are invoked in FIFO order". So, if it define clearly in UEFI spec, LIFO or FIFO, we may use driver dependency to decide which driver's event registration priority and specific callback order indirectly.

Thank you,
Walon

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 4:09 PM
To: discuss@edk2.groups.io; Li, Walon <walon.li@hpe.com>
Subject: Re: [edk2-discuss] EFI Group Event Callback Order

On 01/16/20 09:32, Li, Walon wrote:
Hi edk2,

As UEFI event group mechanism, we can register callbacks under event group. For example, register two event callbacks and will be signal in ReadyToBoot.
Status = gBS->CreateEventEx (
EVT_NOTIFY_SIGNAL,
TPL_CALLBACK,
TestCallback1,
NULL,
&gEfiEventReadyToBootGuid,
&ReadyToBootEvent
);
Status = gBS->CreateEventEx (
EVT_NOTIFY_SIGNAL,
TPL_CALLBACK,
TestCallback2,
NULL,
&gEfiEventReadyToBootGuid,
&ReadyToBootEvent
);
I'm curious the order of callback. In this case, the order is LIFO and TestCallback2 will be executed than TestCallback1.
As the UEFI spec page 152, only said "If the supplied Event is a part of an event group, then all of the events in the event group are also signaled and their notification functions are scheduled." It doesn't define order clearly.

However, edk2 has different implementation in EVT_RUNTIME / EVT_NOTIFY_SIGNAL attribute of group event. In Event.c, it inserts new event to Head in EVT_NOTIFY_SIGNAL queue (LIFO) and inserts to Tail in EVT_RUNTIME queue (FIFO).
I know the programmer shouldn't assume any order but want to know why is different implementation in group event. Have any history reason or limitation?

if ((Type & EVT_RUNTIME) != 0) {
//
// Keep a list of all RT events so we can tell the RT AP.
//
IEvent->RuntimeData.Type = Type;
IEvent->RuntimeData.NotifyTpl = NotifyTpl;
IEvent->RuntimeData.NotifyFunction = NotifyFunction;
IEvent->RuntimeData.NotifyContext = (VOID *) NotifyContext;
//
// Work around the bug in the Platform Init specification (v1.7), reported
// as Mantis#2017: "EFI_RUNTIME_EVENT_ENTRY.Event" should have type
// EFI_EVENT, not (EFI_EVENT*). The PI spec documents the field correctly
// as "The EFI_EVENT returned by CreateEvent()", but the type of the field
// doesn't match the natural language description. Therefore we need an
// explicit cast here.
//
IEvent->RuntimeData.Event = (EFI_EVENT *) IEvent;
InsertTailList (&gRuntime->EventHead, &IEvent->RuntimeData.Link);
}

CoreAcquireEventLock ();

if ((Type & EVT_NOTIFY_SIGNAL) != 0x00000000) {
//
// The Event's NotifyFunction must be queued whenever the event is signaled
//
InsertHeadList (&gEventSignalQueue, &IEvent->SignalLink);
}

Thank you,
Walon

It's unspecified. Implementations may differ, and an implementation isn't even required to be self-consistent wrt. the order.

Ordering is only specified in terms of TPLs.

Thanks
Laszlo

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message. Unless you are an addressee (or authorized to receive for an addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in this message. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly prohibited.

Join discuss@edk2.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.