CPU hotplug using SMM with QEMU+OVMF

Laszlo Ersek

On 08/19/19 16:10, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 19/08/19 01:00, Yao, Jiewen wrote:
in real world, we deprecate AB-seg usage because they are vulnerable
to smm cache poison attack. I assume cache poison is out of scope in
the virtual world, or there is a way to prevent ABseg cache poison.
Indeed the SMRR would not cover the A-seg on real hardware. However, if
the chipset allowed aliasing A-seg SMRAM to 0x30000, it would only be
used for SMBASE relocation of hotplugged CPU. The firmware would still
keep low SMRAM disabled, *except around SMBASE relocation of hotplugged
CPUs*. To avoid cache poisoning attacks, you only have to issue a
WBINVD before enabling low SMRAM and before disabling it. Hotplug SMI
is not a performance-sensitive path, so it's not a big deal.

So I guess you agree that PCI DMA attacks are a potential vector also on
real hardware. As Alex pointed out, VT-d is not a solution because
there could be legitimate DMA happening during CPU hotplug.
Alex, thank you for the help! Please let us know if we should remove you
from the CC list, in order not to clutter your inbox. (I've kept your
address for now, for saying thanks. Feel free to stop reading here. Thanks!)

For OVMF
we'll probably go with Igor's idea, it would be nice if Intel chipsets
supported it too. :)
So what is Igor's idea? Please do spoon-feed it to me. I've seen the POC
patch but the memory region manipulation isn't obvious to me.

Regarding TSEG, QEMU doesn't implement it differently from normal RAM.
Instead, if memory serves, there is an extra "black hole" region that is
overlaid, which hides the RAM contents when TSEG is supposed to be
closed (and the guest is not running in SMM).

But this time we're doing something else, right? Is the idea to overlay
the RAM range at 0x30000 with a window (alias) into the "compatible"
SMRAM at 0xA0000-0xBFFFF?

I don't know how the "compatible" SMRAM is implemented in QEMU. Does the
compatible SMRAM behave in sync with TSEG? OVMF doesn't configure or
touch compatible SMRAM at all, at the moment.

Thanks
Laszlo

Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...>

On 19/08/19 01:00, Yao, Jiewen wrote:
in real world, we deprecate AB-seg usage because they are vulnerable
to smm cache poison attack. I assume cache poison is out of scope in
the virtual world, or there is a way to prevent ABseg cache poison.
Indeed the SMRR would not cover the A-seg on real hardware. However, if
the chipset allowed aliasing A-seg SMRAM to 0x30000, it would only be
used for SMBASE relocation of hotplugged CPU. The firmware would still
keep low SMRAM disabled, *except around SMBASE relocation of hotplugged
CPUs*. To avoid cache poisoning attacks, you only have to issue a
WBINVD before enabling low SMRAM and before disabling it. Hotplug SMI
is not a performance-sensitive path, so it's not a big deal.

So I guess you agree that PCI DMA attacks are a potential vector also on
real hardware. As Alex pointed out, VT-d is not a solution because
there could be legitimate DMA happening during CPU hotplug. For OVMF
we'll probably go with Igor's idea, it would be nice if Intel chipsets
supported it too. :)

Paolo

Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...>

On 17/08/19 02:20, Yao, Jiewen wrote:
[Jiewen] That is OK. Then we MUST add the third adversary.
-- Adversary: Simple hardware attacker, who can use device to perform DMA attack in the virtual world.
NOTE: The DMA attack in the real world is out of scope. That is be handled by IOMMU in the real world, such as VTd. -- Please do clarify if this is TRUE.

In the real world:
#1: the SMM MUST be non-DMA capable region.
#2: the MMIO MUST be non-DMA capable region.
#3: the stolen memory MIGHT be DMA capable region or non-DMA capable
region. It depends upon the silicon design.
#4: the normal OS accessible memory - including ACPI reclaim, ACPI
NVS, and reserved memory not included by #3 - MUST be DMA capable region.
As such, IOMMU protection is NOT required for #1 and #2. IOMMU
protection MIGHT be required for #3 and MUST be required for #4.
I assume the virtual environment is designed in the same way. Please
correct me if I am wrong.
Correct. The 0x30000...0x3ffff area is the only problematic one;
Igor's idea (or a variant, for example optionally remapping
0xa0000..0xaffff SMRAM to 0x30000) is becoming more and more attractive.

Paolo

Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...>

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 22:15:15 +0200
Laszlo Ersek <lersek@redhat.com> wrote:

+Alex (direct question at the bottom)

On 08/16/19 09:49, Yao, Jiewen wrote:
below

#1: the SMM MUST be non-DMA capable region.
#2: the MMIO MUST be non-DMA capable region.
#3: the stolen memory MIGHT be DMA capable region or non-DMA capable
region. It depends upon the silicon design.
#4: the normal OS accessible memory - including ACPI reclaim, ACPI
NVS, and reserved memory not included by #3 - MUST be DMA capable region.
As such, IOMMU protection is NOT required for #1 and #2. IOMMU
protection MIGHT be required for #3 and MUST be required for #4.
I assume the virtual environment is designed in the same way. Please
correct me if I am wrong.
Correct. The 0x30000...0x3ffff area is the only problematic one;
Igor's idea (or a variant, for example optionally remapping
0xa0000..0xaffff SMRAM to 0x30000) is becoming more and more attractive.

Paolo

Yao, Jiewen

#1: the SMM MUST be non-DMA capable region.
#2: the MMIO MUST be non-DMA capable region.
#3: the stolen memory MIGHT be DMA capable region or non-DMA capable region. It depends upon the silicon design.
#4: the normal OS accessible memory - including ACPI reclaim, ACPI NVS, and reserved memory not included by #3 - MUST be DMA capable region.
As such, IOMMU protection is NOT required for #1 and #2. IOMMU protection MIGHT be required for #3 and MUST be required for #4.
I assume the virtual environment is designed in the same way. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That feature (VFIO) does rely on the (physical) IOMMU, and
it makes sure that the assigned device can only access physical frames
that belong to the virtual machine that the device is assigned to.
[Jiewen] Thank you! Good to know.
I found https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vfio.txt
Is that what you scribed above?
Anyway, I believe the problem is clear and the solution in real world is clear.
I will leave the virtual world discussion to Alex, Paolo, Laszlo.
If you need any of my input, please let me know.