About PE/COFF base relocation type numbers

Chao Li

Hi All,
I have two more questions about PE/COFF base relocation types:

The base types 1-4 and 10 are the generic types, and the No.6 is reserved in PE/COFF SPEC. If it only can use 10 numbers, then that number may not be enough, because in some other architectures are needs more than 4 or 5 provide numbers.

Q1:
Why reserve the No.6?

Q2:
If the numbers are not enough, can we add more numbers over 10?

I have sent the two questions to the Microsoft PE/COFF documentation team at the same time.

Modules related to this topic: BaseTools, MdePkg.

Files related to this topic:
BaseTools/Source/C/Include/IndustryStandard/PeImage.h
BaseTools/Source/C/Common/BasePeCoff.c
BaseTools/Source/C/GenFw/Elf64Convert.c
MdePkg/Include/IndustryStandard/PeImage.h
MdePkg/Library/BasePeCoffLib/LoongArch/PeCoffLoaderEx.c

Chao

Sent from Mailspring