From: devel@edk2.groups.io <devel@edk2.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laszlo Ersek
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2019 2:11 AM
To: Gao, Junhao <junhao.gao@...>
Cc: devel@edk2.groups.io; David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...>
Subject: Re: [edk2-devel] question about qemu+kvm+ovmf+winxp

On 10/10/19 16:37, Junhao Gao wrote:
Hi edk2 members

I have a question for your help.
I want to enable qemu+kvm+ovmf to boot up windows xp,
then ovmf support winxp starting-up?
To my understanding, the first Windows "family" with any kind of UEFI support is Windows 7.

OvmfPkg/README has some comments on Windows support:

* UEFI Windows 8 boots
* UEFI Windows 7 & Windows 2008 Server boot (see important notes
below!)
and

=== UEFI Windows 7 & Windows 2008 Server ===

* One of the '-vga std' and '-vga qxl' QEMU options should be used.
* Only one video mode, 1024x768x32, is supported at OS runtime.
* The '-vga qxl' QEMU option is recommended. After booting the installed
guest OS, select the video card in Device Manager, and upgrade its driver
to the QXL XDDM one. Download location:
<http://www.spice-space.org/download.html>, Guest | Windows binaries.
This enables further resolutions at OS runtime, and provides S3
(suspend/resume) capability.
If you'd like to virtualize Windows XP on QEMU/KVM, please use SeaBIOS for guest firmware.

You can also try to build OVMF with -D CSM_ENABLE, but for that, you'll have to build SeaBIOS in CSM mode first, and embed that binary into OVMF at build time. Please ask David for details (CC'd).

Thanks
Laszlo

qemu command:
qemu-system-x86_64 -hda winxp.img -boot c -enable-kvm -cpu host -bios ./OVMF.fd -m 512 -vga cirrus -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user -usbdevice tablet -localtime
Then if ovmf support, could you provide me the way to compile the OVMF.fd?

Thanks,
Junhao