Re: CPU hotplug using SMM with QEMU+OVMF

Igor Mammedov <imammedo@...>

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 18:24:53 +0200
Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:

On 15/08/19 18:07, Igor Mammedov wrote:
Looking at Q35 code and Seabios SMM relocation as example, if I see it
right QEMU has:
- SMRAM is aliased from DRAM at 0xa0000
- and TSEG steals from the top of low RAM when configured

Now problem is that default SMBASE at 0x30000 isn't backed by anything
in SMRAM address space and default SMI entry falls-through to the same
location in System address space.

The later is not trusted and entry into SMM mode will corrupt area + might
jump to 'random' SMI handler (hence save/restore code in Seabios).

Here is an idea, can we map a memory region at 0x30000 in SMRAM address
space with relocation space/code reserved. It could be a part of TSEG
(so we don't have to invent ABI to configure that)?
No, there could be real mode code using it.
My impression was that QEMU/KVM's SMM address space is accessible only from
CPU in SMM mode, so SMM CPU should access in-depended SMRAM at 0x30000 in
SMM address space while not SMM CPUs (including real mode) should access
0x30000 from normal system RAM.

What we _could_ do is
initialize SMBASE to 0xa0000, but I think it's better to not deviate too
much from processor behavior (even if it's admittedly a 20-years legacy
that doesn't make any sense).
Agreed, it's better to follow spec, that's one of the reasons why I was toying
with idea of using separate SMRAM at 0x30000 mapped only in SMM address space.

Practically we would be following spec: SDM: 34.4 SMRAM
"
System logic can use the SMI acknowledge transaction or the assertion of the SMIACT# pin to decode accesses to
the SMRAM and redirect them (if desired) to specific SMRAM memory. If a separate RAM memory is used for
SMRAM, system logic should provide a programmable method of mapping the SMRAM into system memory space
when the processor is not in SMM. This mechanism will enable start-up procedures to initialize the SMRAM space
(that is, load the SMI handler) before executing the SMI handler during SMM.
"

Another benefit that gives us, is that we won't have to pull in
all existing CPUs into SMM (essentially another stop_machine) to
guarantee exclusive access to 0x30000 in normal RAM.

Paolo