TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - May

Soumya Guptha

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes

May 7, 2020

Events (Soumya Guptha):

Spring UEFI Plugfest has been postponed. UEFI virtual Plugfest webinars are happening now. Visit UEFI website, events page<https://uefi.org/node/4051> for more information.

Stable Tag Updates (Liming Gao / Soumya Guptha)

edk2-stable202005 tag planning will enter into soft feature freeze next Friday.


Below are the current feature lists for edk2 stable202005.

* BootGuard TOCTOU vulnerability (CVE-2019-11098)<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1614> Status: may defer
* RegularExpressionDxe: Use submodule way to access third party Oniguruma<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2073> Status: Done
* BrotliCustomDecompressLib: Use submodule way to access third party brotli<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2559> Status: Done
* BaseTools: Use submodule way to access third party brotli<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2558> Status: Done
* RISC-V architecture on EDK2<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2672> Status: Done
* Disabling safe string constraint assertions<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2054> Status: may defer
* ArmVirtPkg Implement support for TPM2 measured boot<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2560> Status: Done
* OVMF Implement support for Linux v5.7+ initrd and mixed mode loading<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2564> Status: Done
* OVMF Use loadimage/startimage for loading the kernel passed via the QEMU command line<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2566> Status: Done
* OVMF Support booting from Fusion-MPT SCSI controllers<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2390> Status: Done
* OVMF Support booting from VMware PVSCSI controllers<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2567> Status: Done
* OVMF RFE: VCPU hotplug with SMM<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1512> Status: Done
* OVMF PEI phase variable driver / MemoryTypeInfo tracking<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=386> Status: Done
* ArmVirtPkg, OvmfPkg: Pass parameter from QEMU to control PXE IPv4/v6 boot<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2681> Status: Done
* Ensure NV Variable Confidentiality and Integrity for Platforms Supporting RPMC<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2594> Status: partially done
* FmpDxe: Implement Fmp Capsule Dependency feature in library<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2696> Status: patch pass review
* Remove deprecate APIs in BaseCryptLib<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1898> Status: patch under review
* Provide a pcd to disable SHA1 support<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1682> Status: may defer
* IntelFsp2Pkg: Support Multi-Phase silicon initialization and debug handlers<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2698> Status: patch under review

Community Discussion: (Felix) UEFI changes/patches are submitted. Felix plans to submit the bug to Bugzilla.

Stewards Meeting download (Mike Kinney)

* stable tag

* On track.

* line endings - Converting git-repo to line endings. Pushed to Q3 stable tag
* edk2-platform2 repo stable-tag

* Make this a Q3 request
* Some requests from Intel teams for a stable tag on edk2-platforms repo

* Stewards work on clear definitions of what goes into edk2 and edk2-platforms and add to GitHub, readmes, and Wikis.

** edk2

******* EmulatorPkg

******* Virtual Platforms

******* QEMU

** edk2-platforms

******* physical hardware platforms

* Bugzilla - number of open issues are increasing. We have increased the frequency and the duration of the meeting to evaluate/address old bugs from the database.

* Code Review Process: using GitHub based code review as the new code review method to replace with the email-based code review process. Mike Kinney has developed a prototype of GitHub code review; Mike has been collecting feedback with a small set of community members. Expect RFCs sometime this week, outlining the proposed new code review process.

Community Discussion -

1. There was a discussion around MDE module pkg to smaller pkgs. any updates on this? we will address later but for now stewards recommending to add new features to new packages rather than adding to MDE module pkg.
2. Some people are moving from GitHub to Gitlab and other GITs due to better usability.

Community Action: Bugzilla - we have a growth in the bugs submitted. We request the community members to check the state of your bugs and help close the bugs

Community Opens from May:

1. Request to send an agenda with the issues that's being planned to be discussed in Bug scrub meetings. Specifically invite the bug owners to be invited. Liming is planning to send out the agenda ahead of time.
2. Open (Felix): Show specific compiler version in the CI build status. Action: Recommend Felix to send an email to the mailing list.

Past Community Opens - Status (Soumya):

1. Rebecca - BHYVE support (need this by May). Rebecca to open a Bugzilla request. Community will evaluate. - Status: Mike kinney has made progress. Fold this inside OVMF package. Mike Kinney, Rebecca and Lazlo to discuss further on where the BHYVE goes inside the EDK2 package. Action: Rebecca to email the mailing list and include Mike Kinney and Lazlo
2. Mike Kinney - we are using legacy GitBooks process/format. GitBooks will discontinue by end of April. We need to migrate our documents<https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Draft-Specification> from legacy service to GitBooks current one. Mike Kinney will update the community on the migration status in the upcoming week. Mike will evaluate the migration tools for this migration and update the process.

a. Update (may)- Mike has been evaluating and has been in discussion with GitBooks service, converted all the docs. New version of docs will be generated by GitBooks. No change to the process from our developer community

3. We will be switching to zoom for all community meetings, please check the latest calendar on tianocore. - Status: We will not switch to Zoom due to security concerns. We will stay with blue jeans.
4. Sean requested a few features (variable policy, TLS 1.3 etc.) for stable tag Q2 release. Sean will follow up with Liming on those features to get them added to Q2 stable tag.

a. (Soumya) Follow up with liming on the features requested by Sean listed here<https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/55621?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,community+meeting,20,2,0,71766249>. Action: Sean to send the current status for his requests and discuss in the mailing list. Liming needs to collect the status on those features and see if those features can be added to q2 or q3 stable tag.

5. Discussion around Bugzilla - Liming to explore adding more detailed information on Bugzilla wiki page. Status: Liming to look into this during Q2.
6. Governance and the process: Intel (Mike Kinney) has been evaluating the possibility of using git hub for the code review process. Expect RFCs in the month of early April. - Status - Addressed. Expect RFCs in a week.


Community Action: Please send Soumya if you like to acknowledge anyone from the community, if anyone helped you close bugs or reviewed code etc..Soumya will post those acknowledgements on the community page.



Soumya Guptha
Open Source Program Manager
Intel Corporation