Date   

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - April

Soumya Guptha
 

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes

April 8, 2021



EVENTS:

UEFI Plugfest (Soumya Guptha):

* No new update this month.
* Currently UEFI is hosting virtual webinars during 2021, listed here (https://uefi.org/events/upcoming).
* If you have topics to propose, please visit uefi.org/events and submit your abstracts.
* ICWG team is planning to host a face-to-face UEFI plugfest in Oregon during spring 2022.



Google Summer of Code (Nate Desimone):
* TianoCore was accepted! 12 students have expressed interest, 4 formal applications so far.
* Expecting more applications before application deadline April 13th
* During the application review process, we will review apps and submit our selections to Google. They will let us know how many slots we can have for our project.
* We currently have 6 mentors, we need about 2 per participant/student.
* We don't have enough mentors, we may need to reject some applications if we don't get enough mentors.
* Community Action: If anyone is interested in mentoring students, please contact Nate DeSimone <nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>
o Mentor Responsibilities listed here: https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/GSoC2021#potential-mentors
o Time commitment: Requires about 2.5 hours/week over the course of 10 weeks this summer
o Listed on twitter - https://twitter.com/tianocore/status/1379207540005761024



Stable Tag (Soumya Guptha/Liming Gao):

* EDK2-stable202105 is in planning stage. May 10th is the feature planning freeze. Please send your feature requests soon.
* More information here - https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Planning
* Liming: currently monitoring EDKII community mail list to document change request. Latest data is available on the wiki page. Update notes are also included on the wiki with changes that will impact release planning for the next stable tag.
* Open: Kevin Davis: Is there a plan for someone going through the UEFI specs and verifying requirements/optional features that are not in the code? The current code base is a mixture of UEFI 2.7/2.8/2.9/ACPI etc.
o Response from Mike Kinney: That sounds like a great community activity, would you like to lead the evaluation of that? We do not have that in the plans yet. Building that feature list and working with Liming to set some feature goals would be great. Then we can review the features and figure out a schedule for them
o Response from Kevin Davis: checked with one of his engineers in Insyde, he agreed to work on that. He will provide an update next week after he has a better idea of schedule. Kevin plans to connect with Mike Kinney on further questions/updates.



Stewards Download: (Mike Kinney)
* There are some inconsistencies in our tool chains for enabling symbolic debug
* General concerns that we don't have very good recipes on how to set up source level debug (GDB connection, JTAG connection, UDK debugger etc). There are some things we could do to improve that material.
o Soumya: Q3 effort?
o Mike: observation, no dates yet. Still investigating.
o Soumya: Do you expect features or doc reorganization?
o Mike: combination, requirements will be tracked on Bugzilla for both code and documentation as investigation progresses



Opens:

Soumya Past Opens:
* We have moved to Teams. We will continue to use this for the next couple months, let us know if you're having any issues with connecting to calls using Teams

Pull-requests:
* Mike: Priority wise - this is still one of the highest priority. Actively working on that. Found landing zone for service, will deploy it there for formal evaluation from the community. Will use same server that is hosting our Bugzilla service right now

Soumya:
* Puja Pandya will lead TianoCore community management starting May, Soumya will still attend meetings as able but will be focusing on Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Management going forward. Please provide your support to Puja



Regards,

Soumya





Soumya Guptha

TianoCore Community Manager, Intel


April community meeting moved to Teams

Soumya Guptha
 

Hi Folks,
As discussed earlier, we are moving away from Webex and using Microsoft Teams for all TianoCore Community Meetings.
I have moved the April Community Meeting using "Teams" and moved to April 8th to better align with the Stewards call.

Please resync your calendar.

Thanks,
Soumya

-----Original Message-----
From: announce@edk2.groups.io <announce@edk2.groups.io> On Behalf Of Soumya Guptha
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 4:02 PM
To: announce@edk2.groups.io
Subject: [edk2-announce] Moving Community meetings from Webex to Teams

Dear Community members,
As I discussed in the last couple of community meetings, we have been asked to move away from Webex and we have been encouraged to use Microsoft Teams. Our Webex license will expire soon (this month). Starting April, we will be switching to Teams.
Folks who attended the community meetings indicated that they are ok to switch to Teams. I would like to inform the rest of the community members as well.

If anyone have issues moving to Microsoft Teams, please send me an email (send me only, and we can discuss how to address).

For linux users, please check out this link - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-microsoft-teams-linux


Thanks,
Soumya

Soumya Guptha
Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager, SFP/IAGS


Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2021!

Nate DeSimone
 

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that TianoCore has been accepted to participate in GSoC 2021! If you are a student and are interested in participating this year, feel free to introduce yourself on the mailing list and discuss potential project proposals. You can find a list of suggested projects on our wiki at: https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/Tasks

Thanks!
Nate


Re: TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - March

Rebecca Cran
 

On 3/9/21 5:29 PM, Soumya Guptha wrote:

STABLE TAG:
edk2-stable202102 is in planning stage. Please send your feature requests soon.
you can visit here for more information - https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Planning
edk2-stable202102 has been released: edk2-stable202105 is in the planning stage.

--
Rebecca Cran


TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - March

Soumya Guptha
 

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes
March 4, 2021

EVENTS:
UEFI Plugfest:
Currently virtual webinars are held during 2021 and this will continue to the remainder of 2021. Webinars are listed here (https://uefi.org/events/upcoming). If you have topics to propose, please visit uefi.org/events and submit your abstracts.
ICWG team is planning to host a face-to-face UEFI plugfest in Oregon during spring 2022. Virtual webinars during 2021 are listed here (https://uefi.org/events/upcoming)

STABLE TAG:
edk2-stable202102 is in planning stage. Please send your feature requests soon.
you can visit here for more information - https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Planning

STEWARDS DOWNLOAD: (Mike Kinney)
No new topics this month.

Please get new RFCs, tech proposals etc.. and bring those in Design Review Meetings run by Ray Ni.

Opens:
1) Community meetings will be moved from Webex to Microsoft Teams starting late this month. No objections from the attendees.
2) Status on - Line ending conversations - prioritized after Git hub pull request. Targeting during 2H' 2021. We need to do some trial repo before we push it. Some files in edk2 repo, we may not be able to convert, need time to experiment.
3) update from Nate Desimone - Tigerlake Min platform released last month on EDK2. Community has been filing bugs. Whitley and Cedar Island Min platform is work in progress.
4) Google summer code (sponsored internship program run by Google) - Nate Desimone sent the application for TianoCore open source to Google. Nate singed up to be the program coordinator. Lot of interest from the community to be a mentor. We will hear by Mar 9th, if we get accepted, we need to get the mentors together and work on processing student applications.


Regards,
Soumya


Soumya Guptha
Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager, Intel


Moving Community meetings from Webex to Teams

Soumya Guptha
 

Dear Community members,
As I discussed in the last couple of community meetings, we have been asked to move away from Webex and we have been encouraged to use Microsoft Teams. Our Webex license will expire soon (this month). Starting April, we will be switching to Teams.
Folks who attended the community meetings indicated that they are ok to switch to Teams. I would like to inform the rest of the community members as well.

If anyone have issues moving to Microsoft Teams, please send me an email (send me only, and we can discuss how to address).

For linux users, please check out this link - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-microsoft-teams-linux


Thanks,
Soumya

Soumya Guptha
Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager, SFP/IAGS


Re: EDK II Stable Tag release edk2-stable202102 completed

Laszlo Ersek
 

Hi Liming,

On 03/05/21 09:29, gaoliming wrote:
Hi, all

 

The tag edk2-stable202102 has been created.
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/releases/tag/edk2-stable202102

  git clone -b edk2-stable202102 https://github.com/tianocore/edk2.git

 

The tag edk2-stable202102 has been added into the main EDK II Wiki page.

  https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II

 

The quiet period has now ended. Thank you for your cooperation and
patience. Normal commits can now be resumed.
thanks for having managed this release!


 

Next edk2 stable tag (edk2-stable202105) planning has been added into
wiki page.

https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Planning.

 

If you have ideas for features in the next stable tag, please enter a
Bugzilla for evaluation. Please let me know if there are existing open
Bugzilla entries that should be targeted at this next stable tag.
Yes, could you please re-add
<https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3132>?

Thanks!
Laszlo


EDK II Stable Tag release edk2-stable202102 completed

gaoliming
 

Hi, all



The tag edk2-stable202102 has been created.
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/releases/tag/edk2-stable202102

git clone -b edk2-stable202102 https://github.com/tianocore/edk2.git



The tag edk2-stable202102 has been added into the main EDK II Wiki page.

https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II



The quiet period has now ended. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
Normal commits can now be resumed.



Next edk2 stable tag (edk2-stable202105) planning has been added into wiki
page.

https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Plannin
g.



If you have ideas for features in the next stable tag, please enter a
Bugzilla for evaluation. Please let me know if there are existing open
Bugzilla entries that should be targeted at this next stable tag.



Thanks

Liming


Community meeting this week - please resync your calendar

Soumya Guptha
 

Hi Folks,

Tianocore community meeting is coming up this week, on 3/4 from 9am-10am (PST) and 7.30pm-8.30pm (PST).

We had some issues with WebEx recently. Please resync and subscribe to the calendar (https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/calendar) so you have the latest series.


Thanks,
Soumya


Soumya Guptha
Tianocore Community & Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager, Intel Corporation


Re: 回复: [edk2-devel] Soft Feature Freeze starts now for edk2-stable202102

Laszlo Ersek
 

Hi Liming,

On 02/26/21 07:27, gaoliming wrote:
Hi, Stewards and All:

So far, there are still three patch sets to be requested to catch this
stable tag. They are bug fixes, and pass code review in soft feature freeze
phase. Have you any comments for them?



1. Fix two issue in ArmGicLib
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/72175)

2. Fix CET shadow stack token busy bit clear issue
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/71864)

[Liming] this version uses DB for the instruction. BZ
https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3227 is create for future
enhancement.

3. Use XADD to avoid lock acquire/release
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/71516)
I agree that the first two patch sets are bugfixes, but I'm not entirely
convinced the third one is a bugfix as well -- it is a performance
optimization, to my understanding. Without that patch set, there is no
misbehavior, things are just slower.

The bugfixes can be merged of course; I wouldn't merge the 3rd series
however.

... I can see Ray pushed the first patch of the third series:
<https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/72249>

I disagree with that. Here's an excerpt from the commit message:

With this patch, OVMF when running in a 255 threads QEMU spends about
one second to wakeup all APs. Original implementation needs more than
10 seconds.

I wouldn't call the pre-patch behavior a bug.

And the review for "[PATCH v3 1/4] UefiCpuPkg/MpInitLib: Use XADD to
avoid lock acquire/release" only arrived (from Mike) after the SFF, so I
don't think it should have been pushed.

On the other hand, I also won't ask for a revert.

Thanks
Laszlo





Thanks

Liming

发件人: bounce+27952+71922+4905953+8761045@groups.io
<bounce+27952+71922+4905953+8761045@groups.io> 代表 gaoliming
发送时间: 2021年2月22日 16:23
收件人: devel@edk2.groups.io; announce@edk2.groups.io
抄送: 'Andrew Fish' <afish@apple.com>; 'Laszlo Ersek' <lersek@redhat.com>;
leif@nuviainc.com; 'Michael D Kinney' <michael.d.kinney@intel.com>; 'Soumya
Guptha' <soumya.k.guptha@intel.com>
主题: [edk2-devel] Soft Feature Freeze starts now for edk2-stable202102



Hi, all

We will enter into Soft Feature Freeze phase. In this phase, the feature
under review will not be allowed to be merged. The feature passed review can
still be merged.



The patch review can continue without break in edk2 community. If the patch
is sent before Soft Feature Freeze, and plans to catch this stable tag, the
patch contributor need reply to his patch and notify edk2 community. If the
patch is sent after Soft Feature Freeze, and plans to catch this stable tag,
please add edk2-stable202102 key words in the patch title and BZ, so the
community know this patch target and give the feedback.



Below is edk2-stable202102 tag planning
https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Plannin
g Proposed Schedule

Date (00:00:00 UTC-8) Description

2020-11-27 Beginning of development

2021-02-15 Feature Planning Freeze

2021-02-22 Soft Feature Freeze

2021-03-01 Hard Feature Freeze

2021-03-05 Release



Thanks

Liming




Re: [edk2-devel] Hard Feature Freeze starts now for edk2-stable202102

Leif Lindholm
 

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 16:15:51 +0800, gaoliming wrote:
Hi, all

Today, we enter into Hard Feature Freeze phase until edk2-stable202102 tag
is created at 2021-03-05. In this phase, there is no feature to be pushed.
The critical bug fix is still allowed. So far, there are two patches to
catch this stable tag. They both passed code review before HFF. If no
objection, they will be merged for this stable tag.



1. Fix two issue in ArmGicLib
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/72175)
I just pushed this fix, and closed the associated BZ.

/
Leif

2. Fix CET shadow stack token busy bit clear issue
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/71864)



If the patch is sent after Hard Feature Freeze, and plans to catch this
stable tag, please add edk2-stable202102 key words in the patch title and
BZ, and also cc to Tianocore Stewards, then Stewards can give the comments.



Below is edk2-stable202102 tag planning.

Date (00:00:00 UTC-8) Description

2020-11-27 Beginning of development

2021-02-15 Feature Planning Freeze

2021-02-22 Soft Feature Freeze

2021-03-01 Hard Feature Freeze

2021-03-05 Release



Thanks

Liming






Hard Feature Freeze starts now for edk2-stable202102

gaoliming
 

Hi, all

Today, we enter into Hard Feature Freeze phase until edk2-stable202102 tag
is created at 2021-03-05. In this phase, there is no feature to be pushed.
The critical bug fix is still allowed. So far, there are two patches to
catch this stable tag. They both passed code review before HFF. If no
objection, they will be merged for this stable tag.



1. Fix two issue in ArmGicLib
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/72175)

2. Fix CET shadow stack token busy bit clear issue
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/71864)



If the patch is sent after Hard Feature Freeze, and plans to catch this
stable tag, please add edk2-stable202102 key words in the patch title and
BZ, and also cc to Tianocore Stewards, then Stewards can give the comments.



Below is edk2-stable202102 tag planning.

Date (00:00:00 UTC-8) Description

2020-11-27 Beginning of development

2021-02-15 Feature Planning Freeze

2021-02-22 Soft Feature Freeze

2021-03-01 Hard Feature Freeze

2021-03-05 Release



Thanks

Liming


回复: [edk2-devel] Soft Feature Freeze starts now for edk2-stable202102

gaoliming
 

Hi, Stewards and All:

So far, there are still three patch sets to be requested to catch this
stable tag. They are bug fixes, and pass code review in soft feature freeze
phase. Have you any comments for them?



1. Fix two issue in ArmGicLib
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/72175)

2. Fix CET shadow stack token busy bit clear issue
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/71864)

[Liming] this version uses DB for the instruction. BZ
https://bugzilla.tianocore.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3227 is create for future
enhancement.

3. Use XADD to avoid lock acquire/release
(https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/71516)



Thanks

Liming

发件人: bounce+27952+71922+4905953+8761045@groups.io
<bounce+27952+71922+4905953+8761045@groups.io> 代表 gaoliming
发送时间: 2021年2月22日 16:23
收件人: devel@edk2.groups.io; announce@edk2.groups.io
抄送: 'Andrew Fish' <afish@apple.com>; 'Laszlo Ersek' <lersek@redhat.com>;
leif@nuviainc.com; 'Michael D Kinney' <michael.d.kinney@intel.com>; 'Soumya
Guptha' <soumya.k.guptha@intel.com>
主题: [edk2-devel] Soft Feature Freeze starts now for edk2-stable202102



Hi, all

We will enter into Soft Feature Freeze phase. In this phase, the feature
under review will not be allowed to be merged. The feature passed review can
still be merged.



The patch review can continue without break in edk2 community. If the patch
is sent before Soft Feature Freeze, and plans to catch this stable tag, the
patch contributor need reply to his patch and notify edk2 community. If the
patch is sent after Soft Feature Freeze, and plans to catch this stable tag,
please add edk2-stable202102 key words in the patch title and BZ, so the
community know this patch target and give the feedback.



Below is edk2-stable202102 tag planning
https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Plannin
g Proposed Schedule

Date (00:00:00 UTC-8) Description

2020-11-27 Beginning of development

2021-02-15 Feature Planning Freeze

2021-02-22 Soft Feature Freeze

2021-03-01 Hard Feature Freeze

2021-03-05 Release



Thanks

Liming


Soft Feature Freeze starts now for edk2-stable202102

gaoliming
 

Hi, all

We will enter into Soft Feature Freeze phase. In this phase, the feature
under review will not be allowed to be merged. The feature passed review can
still be merged.



The patch review can continue without break in edk2 community. If the patch
is sent before Soft Feature Freeze, and plans to catch this stable tag, the
patch contributor need reply to his patch and notify edk2 community. If the
patch is sent after Soft Feature Freeze, and plans to catch this stable tag,
please add edk2-stable202102 key words in the patch title and BZ, so the
community know this patch target and give the feedback.



Below is edk2-stable202102 tag planning
https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Plannin
g Proposed Schedule

Date (00:00:00 UTC-8) Description

2020-11-27 Beginning of development

2021-02-15 Feature Planning Freeze

2021-02-22 Soft Feature Freeze

2021-03-01 Hard Feature Freeze

2021-03-05 Release



Thanks

Liming


Re: TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/11 & 2/4

Soumya Guptha
 

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes (EMEA/NMO)
February 11, 2021

EVENTS:
No new updates.

STABLE TAG:
edk2-stable202102 - Feature Planning freeze on 2/15
https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Planning

STEWARDS DOWNLOAD:
* Design meeting - we discussed on Automation & CI system.
Community Action: Need help from the community on ECC tool (EFI code checker), we have critical issues, need help quickly.
We don't have a dedicated maintainer for ECC tool. Need volunteers to do development work on the ECC. Please let Soumya, Mike Kinney and other Stewards, and/or the mailing list.
There are a few features that need a newer version of NASM. We will be updating the version of NASM.

* Workflow for maintainers: Task is to Evaluate the automation feature and get feedback. Workflow of maintainers to submit multiple pull requests. Issue - causing extra work, process issue. We are investigating on automation.If there is any workflow that is inefficient or anything that we can do to increase the efficiency, please give us that feedback.

* Google summer code (sponsored internship program run by google). Need some mentors to mentor the interns. Tianocore open source needs to apply. Application deadline Feb 19th. We need to develop interesting ideas for summer projects. Nate will start an offline thread to discuss ideas for projects. Couple of people have expressed some interest in becoming mentors.
Community Action: If you are interested in either mentoring or have a project idea, please send an email to (nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com<mailto:nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>).
Deadline is Feb 19th to send the proposal to Google. Send your ideas soon to Nate.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:
Acknowledge Gary Lin from Suse (Glin@suse.com<mailto:Glin@suse.com>) from Harry Hsiung (Intel)
https Boot Ovmfpkg and MdeModulePkg with TLS LSIScsi patches


Regards,
Soumya

-----Original Message-----
From: announce@edk2.groups.io <announce@edk2.groups.io> On Behalf Of Soumya Guptha
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 8:12 PM
To: announce@edk2.groups.io; devel@edk2.groups.io
Subject: Re: [edk2-announce] TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/4

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes (APAC/NMO)
February 4, 2021



EVENTS:
No new updates.

STABLE TAG:
edk2-stable202102 - Feature Planning freeze on 2/15

https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Planning

STEWARDS DOWNLOAD (Mike Kinney)
* Design meeting - we discussed on Automation & CI system.
* Community Action: Need help from the community on ECC tool (EFI code checker), we have critical issues, need help quickly.
* Kevin - will explore to see if someone has any expertise wrt ECC tool.

* Sean plans to send to the info to the community on the tool to help format the source code. Sean will send it to the mailing list.
Suggests making ECC smaller.

* Addressed all issues related to cmocka.

* Workflow for maintainers: some maintainers like to work on multiple pull requests, causing extra work, process issue. We are investigating on automation. Task is to Evaluate the automation feature and get feedback.

* Bugzilla Feature request - update on NASM compiler version will start now. This is not required by developers until after the Q1 stable tag.


Opens:

1. Nate - Google summer code (sponsored internship program run by google). Need some mentors to mentor the interns. Tianocore open source needs to apply. Application deadline Feb 19th. We need to develop interesting ideas for summer projects. Nate will start an offline thread to discuss ideas for projects. Couple of people have expressed some interest in becoming mentors.
Community Action: If you are interested in either mentoring or have a project idea, please send an email to (nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com<mailto:nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>).
Deadline is Feb 19th to send the proposal to Google. Send your ideas soon to Nate.

1. Sean - code contribution, project management - are we doing anything to improve.

Acknowledgments:
Community Action: Please send Soumya if you like to acknowledge anyone from the community, if anyone helped you close bugs or reviewed code etc..We will post those acknowledgements on the community page.



Soumya Guptha
Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager, SFP/IAGS


Re: TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/4

Soumya Guptha
 

Great to hear Bret. Thanks.
Folks, this is a reminder. The deadline for submitting our project (Tianocore) proposal to Google summer code is approaching soon (Feb 19th), please do reach out to Nate Desimone if you have any project ideas.

Thanks,
Soumya

From: Bret Barkelew <Bret.Barkelew@microsoft.com>
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 1:26 PM
To: Guptha, Soumya K <soumya.k.guptha@intel.com>; announce@edk2.groups.io; devel@edk2.groups.io; Desimone, Nathaniel L <nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>
Subject: RE: TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/4

@Desimone, Nathaniel L<mailto:nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>, I'm interested in mentorship for the GSC project. Would like to talk offline about potential projects and past experience.

RE: ECC, we're internally evaluating 'uncrustify' as an option to 1) check for formatting violations and 2) provide a tool to automatically format code prior to submission. There are changes that we've made to the tool to support ECC, but there are some small places that we're coming up short. What would be the appetite to evaluate our progress and discuss possibly adjusting the ECC to be more flexible where we've come up short?

- Bret

From: Soumya Guptha via groups.io<mailto:soumya.k.guptha=intel.com@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 8:12 PM
To: announce@edk2.groups.io<mailto:announce@edk2.groups.io>; devel@edk2.groups.io<mailto:devel@edk2.groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [edk2-announce] TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/4

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes (APAC/NMO)

February 4, 2021



EVENTS:

No new updates.



STABLE TAG:



edk2-stable202102 - Feature Planning freeze on 2/15

https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Ftianocore%2Ftianocore.github.io%2Fwiki%2FEDK-II-Release-Planning&;data=04%7C01%7CBret.Barkelew%40microsoft.com%7Ca97d5c438d514d0859ea08d8c98c43a6%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C637480951557144463%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=UA13OI0UuZ2QSboHsE4dZY5J0Az1uL8Boxldw0jdtmU%3D&amp;reserved=0





STEWARDS DOWNLOAD (Mike Kinney)

* Design meeting - we discussed on Automation & CI system.



* Community Action: Need help from the community on ECC tool (EFI code checker), we have critical issues, need help quickly.
* Kevin - will explore to see if someone has any expertise wrt ECC tool.



* Sean plans to send to the info to the community on the tool to help format the source code. Sean will send it to the mailing list.
Suggests making ECC smaller.



* Addressed all issues related to cmocka.



* Workflow for maintainers: some maintainers like to work on multiple pull requests, causing extra work, process issue. We are investigating on automation. Task is to Evaluate the automation feature and get feedback.



* Bugzilla Feature request - update on NASM compiler version will start now. This is not required by developers until after the Q1 stable tag.





Opens:

1. Nate - Google summer code (sponsored internship program run by google). Need some mentors to mentor the interns. Tianocore open source needs to apply. Application deadline Feb 19th. We need to develop interesting ideas for summer projects. Nate will start an offline thread to discuss ideas for projects. Couple of people have expressed some interest in becoming mentors.
Community Action: If you are interested in either mentoring or have a project idea, please send an email to (nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com<mailto:nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>).



1. Sean - code contribution, project management - are we doing anything to improve.



Acknowledgments:

Community Action: Please send Soumya if you like to acknowledge anyone from the community, if anyone helped you close bugs or reviewed code etc..We will post those acknowledgements on the community page.



Soumya Guptha
Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager, SFP/IAGS


Re: Reminder: Community meeting this week - please see updates

Soumya Guptha
 

Hi Folks,
This is a Reminder for tomorrow's Community meeting in the morning for EMEA/NAMO from 9-10am (PST), that was rescheduled from last week.

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Thanks,
Soumya

-----Original Message-----
From: announce@edk2.groups.io <announce@edk2.groups.io> On Behalf Of Soumya Guptha
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 9:26 AM
To: Guptha, Soumya K <soumya.k.guptha@intel.com>; Desimone, Nathaniel L <nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>; devel@edk2.groups.io; announce@edk2.groups.io
Subject: Re: [edk2-announce] Reminder: Community meeting this week - please see updates

Hi Folks,
Since we had Webex issues this morning, I will be rescheduling the community meeting morning call (EMEA/NAMO) to next week, Thursday 11th, 9-10am (PST).
We will continue to keep the evening community call with APAC/NAMO today. I will update the WebEx link for the APAC. Please resync your calendar.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Soumya

-----Original Message-----
From: announce@edk2.groups.io <announce@edk2.groups.io> On Behalf Of Soumya Guptha
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 9:06 AM
To: Desimone, Nathaniel L <nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>; devel@edk2.groups.io; announce@edk2.groups.io
Subject: Re: [edk2-announce] Reminder: Community meeting this week - please resync your calendar

Bridge for this morning's 9am call - please see below. previous meeting invite isn't working.



When it's time, join your Webex meeting here.


Meeting number (access code): 130 576 2005 Meeting password: HntHxcu$733


Join<https://intel.webex.com/intel/j.php?MTID=me3b89db82d76279dc6326afd092fb511>


Tap to join from a mobile device (attendees only)
+1-210-795-1110,,1305762005##<tel:%2B1-210-795-1110,,*01*1305762005%23%2
+3*01*> US Toll
+1-866-662-9987,,1305762005##<tel:%2B1-866-662-9987,,*01*1305762005%23%2
+3*01*> US Toll Free

Join by phone
+1-210-795-1110 US Toll
+1-866-662-9987 US Toll Free
Global call-in numbers<https://intel.webex.com/intel/globalcallin.php?MTID=mce06ad56af1f4ee4c5c9a224db9f0986> | Toll-free calling restrictions<https://e-meetings.verizonbusiness.com/global/pdf/Verizon_Audio_Conferencing_Global_Access_Information_August2017.pdf>

Join from a video system or application
Dial 1305762005@intel.webex.com<sip:1305762005@intel.webex.com>
You can also dial 173.243.2.68 and enter your meeting number.

Need help? Go to http://help.webex.com





























































-----Original Message-----
From: Guptha, Soumya K <soumya.k.guptha@intel.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 9:01 AM
To: Guptha, Soumya K <soumya.k.guptha@intel.com>; Desimone, Nathaniel L <nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>; devel@edk2.groups.io; announce@edk2.groups.io
Subject: RE: [edk2-announce] Reminder: Community meeting this week - please resync your calendar
Importance: High





Folks,

There seems to be an error in the invite. please give me 5 mins, I will send you a new invite.



Thanks,

Soumya

On 2/2/21, 4:34 PM, "announce@edk2.groups.io on behalf of Soumya Guptha<mailto:announce@edk2.groups.io%20on%20behalf%20of%20Soumya%20Guptha>" <announce@edk2.groups.io on behalf of soumya.k.guptha@intel.com<mailto:announce@edk2.groups.io%20on%20behalf%20of%20soumya.k.guptha@intel.com>> wrote:



Dear Community members,



Tianocore community meeting is coming up this week, on 2/4 from 9am-10am (PST) and 7.30pm-8.30pm (PST).



Please resync and subscribe to the calendar (https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/calendar) so you have the latest series.





Thanks,

Soumya





Soumya Guptha

Tianocore Community & Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager,

Intel Corporation


Re: [edk2-devel] TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/4

Michael D Kinney
 

Hi Bret,

Please share the proposed adjustments. If we can use a well supported tool that allows us to remove the C parser from ECC, then I think that would be a big improvement.

Mike

From: devel@edk2.groups.io <devel@edk2.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bret Barkelew via groups.io
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 1:26 PM
To: Guptha, Soumya K <soumya.k.guptha@intel.com>; announce@edk2.groups.io; devel@edk2.groups.io; Desimone, Nathaniel L <nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [edk2-devel] TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/4

@Desimone, Nathaniel L<mailto:nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>, I’m interested in mentorship for the GSC project. Would like to talk offline about potential projects and past experience.

RE: ECC, we’re internally evaluating ‘uncrustify’ as an option to 1) check for formatting violations and 2) provide a tool to automatically format code prior to submission. There are changes that we’ve made to the tool to support ECC, but there are some small places that we’re coming up short. What would be the appetite to evaluate our progress and discuss possibly adjusting the ECC to be more flexible where we’ve come up short?

- Bret

From: Soumya Guptha via groups.io<mailto:soumya.k.guptha=intel.com@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 8:12 PM
To: announce@edk2.groups.io<mailto:announce@edk2.groups.io>; devel@edk2.groups.io<mailto:devel@edk2.groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [edk2-announce] TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/4

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes (APAC/NMO)

February 4, 2021



EVENTS:

No new updates.



STABLE TAG:



edk2-stable202102 - Feature Planning freeze on 2/15

https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Ftianocore%2Ftianocore.github.io%2Fwiki%2FEDK-II-Release-Planning&;data=04%7C01%7CBret.Barkelew%40microsoft.com%7Ca97d5c438d514d0859ea08d8c98c43a6%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C637480951557144463%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=UA13OI0UuZ2QSboHsE4dZY5J0Az1uL8Boxldw0jdtmU%3D&amp;reserved=0





STEWARDS DOWNLOAD (Mike Kinney)

* Design meeting - we discussed on Automation & CI system.



* Community Action: Need help from the community on ECC tool (EFI code checker), we have critical issues, need help quickly.
* Kevin - will explore to see if someone has any expertise wrt ECC tool.



* Sean plans to send to the info to the community on the tool to help format the source code. Sean will send it to the mailing list.
Suggests making ECC smaller.



* Addressed all issues related to cmocka.



* Workflow for maintainers: some maintainers like to work on multiple pull requests, causing extra work, process issue. We are investigating on automation. Task is to Evaluate the automation feature and get feedback.



* Bugzilla Feature request - update on NASM compiler version will start now. This is not required by developers until after the Q1 stable tag.





Opens:

1. Nate - Google summer code (sponsored internship program run by google). Need some mentors to mentor the interns. Tianocore open source needs to apply. Application deadline Feb 19th. We need to develop interesting ideas for summer projects. Nate will start an offline thread to discuss ideas for projects. Couple of people have expressed some interest in becoming mentors.
Community Action: If you are interested in either mentoring or have a project idea, please send an email to (nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com<mailto:nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com>).



1. Sean - code contribution, project management - are we doing anything to improve.



Acknowledgments:

Community Action: Please send Soumya if you like to acknowledge anyone from the community, if anyone helped you close bugs or reviewed code etc..We will post those acknowledgements on the community page.



Soumya Guptha
Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager, SFP/IAGS


TianoCore Community Design Meeting Minutes - Feb 5, 2021

Ni, Ray
 

Topic: TianoCore ECC (EFI Code Checker) Utility (Kinney Michael / Intel)
Slides: https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/files/Designs/2021/0205/TianoCore%20ECC%20Utility.pdf

1. Purpose

Need help from community on ECC since it's deployed in CI process.
Several ECC tool issues occurred in CI process.
Call for volunteers to be the owners and testers of ECC.

* Owner(s)
????
* Maintainers (BaseTools)
M: Bob Feng <bob.c.feng@intel.com>
M: Liming Gao <gaoliming@byosoft.com.cn>
* Reviewers (BaseTools)
R: Yuwei Chen <yuwei.chen@intel.com>
* Testers
????
2. Open Discussions

a. Is it a right tool?
@Mike: Laszlo commented in steward meeting that it's a right tool doing EDKII specific checks.
@Nate: Have you evaluated the clang-format tool?
@Ray: I did some evaluation several months ago. ECC does some checks that clang-format doesn't. E.g.:
1. Only allow CRLF as line ending.
2. Check if no trailing white space in end of line.
3. Check if the predicate expression follows spec.
4. Check if file header and function header follow Doxygen style.
5. Check if the function format and macro format follow the spec.
6. Check if variable and function name follow the spec.
7. Other rules that check non-source files such as inf, dec, dsc, fdf files.
@Sean: Kubacki Michael is working on using uncrustify for coding style checking.
@Nate/@Ray: Prefer to use clang-format because it's widely used by increasingly open source projects.
@Sean: Clang-format was one of the candidates but the uncrustify was chosen in the end. Need Kubacki to provide more details.
@Sean: Better to use standard format tool as a checker and ECC can do EDKII specific checks that may not require ANTLR.
@Sean: Kubacki Michael is working on using uncrustify for coding style checking.

b. Is ECC too strict?
No comments from the meeting.

c. Configurability
No comments from the meeting.

3. Major Issues: refer to slides page #3

a. ECC CI plugin destroys modified but not checked in files.
@Liming: Agree it's a bug. But it doesn't impact CI running in server.
@Mike: can you submit a Bugzilla and propose a proper way to fix?
@Liming: I will.

b. ECC crashes due to mismatched antler versions
@Mike: Is it possible to update ECC to be compatible to old/new ANTLR versions?
@Bob: prefer to use the fixed version of antler for easy maintenance.
@Mike: Provide meaningful error message when version mismatches.


4. Open Bugs: refer to slides page #4
@Ray: Bug3131 (supporting leading asterisk) might violate the edk2 coding standard. Bug 3209 (allow lack of function headers) might increase the chance that implementation doesn't follow the interface defined in header file.

5. ECC Overview: refer to page #5~#13

Thanks,
Ray


Re: TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes - 2/4

Soumya Guptha
 

TianoCore Community Meeting Minutes (APAC/NMO)

February 4, 2021



EVENTS:

No new updates.



STABLE TAG:



edk2-stable202102 - Feature Planning freeze on 2/15

https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/EDK-II-Release-Planning





STEWARDS DOWNLOAD (Mike Kinney)

* Design meeting - we discussed on Automation & CI system.



* Community Action: Need help from the community on ECC tool (EFI code checker), we have critical issues, need help quickly.
* Kevin - will explore to see if someone has any expertise wrt ECC tool.



* Sean plans to send to the info to the community on the tool to help format the source code. Sean will send it to the mailing list.
Suggests making ECC smaller.



* Addressed all issues related to cmocka.



* Workflow for maintainers: some maintainers like to work on multiple pull requests, causing extra work, process issue. We are investigating on automation. Task is to Evaluate the automation feature and get feedback.



* Bugzilla Feature request - update on NASM compiler version will start now. This is not required by developers until after the Q1 stable tag.





Opens:

1. Nate - Google summer code (sponsored internship program run by google). Need some mentors to mentor the interns. Tianocore open source needs to apply. Application deadline Feb 19th. We need to develop interesting ideas for summer projects. Nate will start an offline thread to discuss ideas for projects. Couple of people have expressed some interest in becoming mentors.
Community Action: If you are interested in either mentoring or have a project idea, please send an email to (nathaniel.l.desimone@intel.com).



1. Sean - code contribution, project management - are we doing anything to improve.



Acknowledgments:

Community Action: Please send Soumya if you like to acknowledge anyone from the community, if anyone helped you close bugs or reviewed code etc..We will post those acknowledgements on the community page.



Soumya Guptha
Firmware Ecosystem Enabling Manager, SFP/IAGS

21 - 40 of 258